Sunday, September 23, 2007

The 'Dar He Blogs Guide to Art Appreciation

I recently went to the Museum of Modern Art in New York City. The trip inspired me to pass on some tips on how to get the most out of a day at the gallery. Enjoy...and see you at the museum!

1) Go with a friend. That way, when things get boring, you'll have someone to talk to.





















2) Don't be afraid to laugh at art! Here, Kevin Ard seems highly amused by this abstract piece. This is probably because it looks like it required very little effort to create (but is somehow still worth seven or eight figures). In all seriousness, the audio guide to this piece said that it represented the emptiness and detachment created by technological change. That gets points from me because it sounds a lot like OK Computer. On the other hand, I really don't see it.





















3) Modern art can get really abstract: sometimes an unpainted canvas or a twig in the middle of the room is really some valuable and/or famous piece! The key is not to confuse such art with things that aren't part of the exhibit. The gentleman in this picture appears to have made that very mistake.

















4) Always go with your bread and butter. I've found that I really like impressionism, surrealism and futurism. I try to anchor my museum visit around these pieces so as to incentivize myself to look at stuff I don't like as much. For example, I made multiple visits to this very fun piece, which captures how a classical waltz party looks if you try to take in the scene after spinning around really fast multiple times.

3 comments:

maheer said...

nice post. the electrical closet photo was humorous. i say, overall, you've achieved a sandeep-level of humor with this. hats off.

James H. said...

I'm noting that you tend to refer to "incentivizing" things quite frequently. I'll have to think of how we as a community can incentivize visits to St. Louis by tall Indian econ students.

LINK NETWORK said...

Art investment is a risky business. Even "insiders" such as auction houses, art dealers and experienced collectors make mistakes and sometimes lose money on what they consider to be 'investment grade' art.

Info about Art