Thursday, September 4, 2008

Anyone Interesting in Working on a Small Project?

"Guess who's back, back again..."

That's right. I'm back to blogging after several weeks off - August turned out to be an exceptionally busy month (more on that in the next few days). It's great to come back to this space and resume writing about health economics and other topics of interest.

To start off September, I'd like to use this post to solicit help on a small project I am starting. Basically, I want to look at published studies of industry sponsorship bias in drug trials (a very hot topic: see here, from the recent issue of JAMA) and understand what we can learn with the existing statistical evidence, and need a research assistant to do some data collection and extraction. You will also be able to help out in designing the analysis. Here is what you get in return: authorship if the work gets published, and experience on what should be an interesting, fun, non-trivial and short project.

If you are interested in learning more, write me at this e-mail address.

Finally, I realize I'm being especially vague here about what the project is actually about. This is because I recently had a bad experience getting scooped and do not want to go through that again. However, you can trust me on the fact that this will, indeed, be interesting!

2 comments:

Valli said...

unrelated - what are you thoughts on this: http://www.nytimes.com/2008/09/08/sports/tennis/08hawkeye.html
?

Atheendar said...

Valli. Thanks for the link. A bunch of us were actually wondering about this: how is it possible to track the ball and, in situations were a fraction of the ball catches the line, how can you distinguish between that and measurement error? This article makes it all clear. It's absolutely amazing that their error is <4 mm!!!

Interestingly, I was watching the Pilot Pen Tournament here in New Haven, and noticed all the cameras around the court. I mistakenly thought they were radar detectors. Turns out, they are for Hawkeye.

Sweet.