Monday, July 23, 2007

Harry Potter and the Ruined Suspense

I ended up giving my copy of the 7th Harry Potter book to my cousin for his birthday, thus renewing my pledge to wait till September to read the American version of the novel. Of course, the very day the books comes out, I have the entire story recited to me by several individuals even after I requested that this not be done. No spoilers in this entry, but here are some things that definitely did not happen in the 7th installment:

-Harry gets bored of saving the world and decides to become a professional quidditch player in the United States. He does a commercial with Lebron James, marries a supermodel and gets blue contact lenses. Sadly, he no longer has his mother's eyes.

-Hermione decides she is way too good for Ron and unceremoniously dumps him for Harry. Harry refuses and Hermione becomes the Prime Minister of England.

-Voldemort beats Harry and uses the spoils of war to fund a huge NGO that distributes ARVs to HIV/AIDS patients in Africa.

I figured that, even if the ending was spoiled for me, I'd still be excited read the book. After all, I can watch the same Super Bowl over and over and over even though I know the outcome and score. For some reason though, I am completely indifferent now as to when I read this book. Yuck.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

did you see the nytimes article a couple of weeks ago where they asked several people to comment on this same topic? in one, hermione kills off all the other characters and becomes a jk rowling-esque mother writing in a coffee shop.