Wednesday, October 31, 2007

The 'Dar He Blogs Guide to San Francisco

I spent a week in the bay area about two weeks ago. I had a blast. It was the first time I really got to explore San Francisco and vicinity in some depth. Special thanks to Maheer and my folks for taking me to all the cool joints. In the event you might find yourself in the area, this post can serve as a useful starting point to plan your time/journey. Enjoy!

1. When in San Francisco, be sure to visit ritzy malls and take arty photographs.
Here, Maheer's shadow is seen in the uber shiny floor tiles, as if superimposed on the pattern in the rotunda.
















2. When in Rome, do as Romans do. When in Alcatraz...
Re-enact your favorite scene from The Rock.
















3. Visit less well known monuments and make them famous by advertising to your friends on your partially eponymous blog.
This is probably one of two things that are actually worth seeing in Sunnyvale. I call it the "Sunnyvale Pyramid", but in reality it has something to do with the Summer and Winter Solstices (Solsti?). In any case, I think I look good in this picture.




















4. Wine Country is guaranteed to be fun.
That is to say, if it's not initially, the likelihood that you will find it fun by the end of your stay is increasing in the number of free samples you consume (though the function probably reaches some max and is strictly decreasing thereafter - as you can see, I did not sample optimally).





















5. If you must go to the opera, bring friends.
A few of us went to this opera called Appomattox, about the Civil War surrender and its aftermath. It was in English and, while at times moving, really funny and ridiculous. Imagine this exchange in sung in the Opera style:

President Lincoln: "What is the aim of General Lee?"
Ulysses S Grant: "I don't know."

This actually happened. I think I reached my cultured-ness maximum very early on: I spent the first half hour giggling. Luckily, my friends Maheer and Vivian found it equally ridiculous and probably had a good chuckle here and there themselves. This is why its good to bring friends: you don't feel bad for finding serious things funny if your buddies do, too. Simple social acceptance. On the other hand, I tend to laugh when other people do, so I think we fed off each others giggling.

6. On second thought, don't go with friends.

7. Eat at the following restaurants.
Recommended by Maheer, taste tested and confirmed by me.

La Tacqueria
Mitchell's Ice Cream
Zazie's
Chez Maman
Burma Superstar
Dottie's True Blue Cafe (breakfast)
Saigon Sandwiches
Truly Mediterranean
Little Star
Ganim's
Citrus Club
Chaat Paradise

We also went to some yogurt bar (forgot the name) which is very well known for its excellent yogurt and fresh ingredients. I had a basic yogurt with fresh mango and raspberry topping. Possible the greatest food item I've ever had.

1 comment:

maheer said...

the name of the yogurt bar is "yogurt bar."