Monday, February 18, 2008

Best Picture

I've now seen all five Academy Award nominated films for 2008. Here are my rankings:

1. There Will Be Blood: I hated this movie immediately after I saw it. Three days later, I realized it was great. It's up to you to decide what the theme is: the unfettered excesses of capitalism versus the unfettered excesses of organized religion in industrial America? A misanthrope oil-tycoon's (played brilliantly by Daniel Day Lewis) slowly disintegrating soul? Whatever it is, there is a lot packed into this movie.

By the way, the score for the music is by Jonny Greenwood, lead instrumentalist of Radiohead. It's about as daring and jarring (in a good way) as anything you'd expect from anyone associated with this band.

2. Michael Clayton: A tired middle-aged lawyer (the always fantastic George Clooney), who long ago gave up his scruples, money, free-time and marriage, is faced with a dilemma in the form of a Constant Gardner like-puzzle. The best part of this movie is the end, where Clooney's character gets into a taxicab as the credits roll - one wonders where his life goes next, or if things have already played out for him . This movie will likely not win the Oscar, but that's because the Academy is a bit weird about these things (ex: The English Patient and #10 below).

3. Juno: This movie is just a lot of fun, with witty banter and pop-culture references. The treatment of teenage pregnancy is interesting, but not flippant or glorified (as some Republican-types seem to think): Juno does move back into the typical life of a teenager, but her decisions have consequences for the Jennifer Garner character, who gets an incredible gift even as her marriage falls apart.

4. No Country for Old Men: A lot of people loved this movie. I thought it was decent and thought provoking, but I'm not sure how I feel about it just yet. Actually, I just saw it yesterday, so maybe I need a few days to process and get back to you.

10. Atonement: A jealous and annoying little girl makes a stupid decision that alters the lives of her older sister and friend forever. If you have to skip one movie on this list, make it this one. How did this get nominated ahead of Eastern Promises?

1 comment:

James H. said...

Yes! Well, except for your initial (disconcerting) dislike of "there will be blood," I concur with your diagnoses, Atheen. Though I never actually saw Atonement, to be fair, it would have to be markedly better than the impression I've garnered to come CLOSE to matching Eastern Promises.

Good taste!